Craft Beer Numbers from 2014 from IRi via the Brewers Association for US Grocery Stores
Oregon has the largest % of dollars spent on Craft Beer in the US in 2014 with 36.69%.
Oregon was the third largest market by dollars spent on Craft Beer in the US behind our neighbor to the south and are neighbor to the north.
To put that in perspective – dollars spent per capita on craft beer in Grocery Stores in 2014.
US Census Data from 7/1/2014
Craft Beer grew by 18.3% to 15.36% of $ Sales in 2014.
The #4 new craft beer vendor in the US based on $ Sales was Gilgamesh Brewing of Salem
The #4 and #5 top new craft beers in the US by $ Sales were: Deschutes Brewery Fresh Squeezed IPA + Widmer Brothers Upheaval IPA – Note they were also the #2 + #3 new IPA’s in the US.
Portland continues to lead the US with a 39.3% of $ Sales for Craft Beer – up 2.5%
Portland had the largest week for % of $ Sales for Craft Beer in US history the week ending 12/21/14 with a 45.6% of $ Sales.
IPA is the largest category for Craft Beer in the US with 23% of $ Sales-up 41%
Portland, Oregon was the #2 market for IPA’s in the US-barely missing out on the top spot. Portland was also #2 in the US for IPA Sku’s with 210 in the marketplace. For IPA Sub-Styles, Portland was the top selling spot for American IPA’s and #3 for Imperial IPA’s.
I’ve asked IRi these numbers for the state of Oregon where I assume Oregon will be #1 for % of $ spent on craft beer and % of $ spent on IPA. Check back later for updated numbers.
Top 3 weeks in US Craft Beer History for $ Sales were the following in 2014:July 6, 2014, December 28, 2014, November 30, 2014
Oregon Craft Beer Facts – Updated 01/31/2015
Final number for breweries in Oregon for 2014 as on 12/31/2014
179 Brewing Companies
71 Cities Across Oregon
22 in Bend
29 in Central Oregon
12 in Eugene
12 in Eastern Oregon
5 in Hood River
10 Mt. Hood/The Gorge
58 in Portland
83 in the Portland Metro Area
28 in Southern Oregon/The Coast
19 on The Coast/North
40 in the Willamette Valley
• Oregon’s brewing companies employ 6600+ full and part-time employees-up 200+ jobs over 2012.
• Total economic impact from the beer industry is $2.83 billion for Oregon’s economy+employs 29,000 people
• Oregonians consumed 2.803 million barrels of beer in 2013, of that more than 18 percent or 507,500 barrels of the total beer consumed in Oregon, was made in Oregon. US craft beer consumption is 7.8 percent by volume.
• Oregon’s brewers made 1.400 million barrels of beer in 2013 up 8% over 2012
• It’s estimated that 53% Percent of all draft beer consumed in Oregon is brewed in Oregon.
• There are currently 58 breweries in Portland, 84 in the Portland metro area, 23 in Bend and 31 in Central Oregon and 14 in Eugene.
• Portland currently has the most breweries of any city in the world.
• Hood River has 4 breweries in its city limits and 5 that have a Hood River address-that’s 1 per every 1458 people, if there’s another city in the world that has at least 4 breweries and more per capita – drop us a line and let us know.
• Portland continues to lead the US for % of dollars spent on craft beer with a 36.6% share for Q-4 2013 and for Q-1 w/e 03/30/2014-the Portland market recorded a 38.69% share per IRi Worldwide. Craft Beer has been the largest category for dollars spent on beer in Grocery Stores continuously in the Portland market since October, 2010.